Learn about diets, supplementation, and treatment options using the biomedical ideology.
Please note: The Autism Society Southern Arizona website provides general information regarding medical research, treatment options, therapies and nutrition to the autism community (please read our Options Policy ).The information comes from a variety of sources and Autism Society Southern Arizona does not independently verify any of it. Nothing in this website should be construed as medical advice. Always consult your child’s doctor regarding this or her individual needs.
Biomedical Treatment Checklist for Autism
A condensed version of the DAN! guidelines by James Adams, PhD
Follow in this order:
- Improve quality of diet. Eliminate junk food. Increase intake of vegetables, whole fruit, and protein, while limiting sugar/starch intake.
- Minimum 3-month trial of total avoidance of casein and gluten.
- Add digestive enzymes, vitamins, minerals.
- Test thyroid function and iodine level – consider thyroid hormones and/or iodine.
- Test for food allergy, using blood.
- Test gut function: Comprehensive Digestive Stool Analysis and urinary organic acids, using both tests to check for intestinal yeast/bacteria. If necessary, treat with antifungals, probiotics, and possibly antibiotics. Try low sugar/starch diet, and consider Specific Carbohydrate Diet to starve yeast/bacteria.
- Test for amino acids, and add if necessary.
- Test plasma sulfate and glutathione; supplement if low.
- Assess heavy metal toxicity by chelation challenge, and treat if high.
- Try additional nutrients (Essential fatty acids, DMG/TMG, methyl-B12)
- Try mega-B6 with Magnesium (8 mg of B6 per pound bodyweight, and 4 mg/pound bodyweight of Magnesium), especially if kryptopyrole test high.
- Test for viral infections, and treat if necessary.
NOTE: Behavioral therapy is also strongly recommended, and should be done simultaneously. Applied Behavior Analysis, Relationship Development Intervention, and other methods are available.
Summary of Biomedical Treatments for Autism
By James B. Adams, Ph.D.
James Adams, Ph.D
Stephen Edelson, Pd.D
Temple Grandin, Ph.D
Bernie Rimland, Ph.D
Autism Research Institute
Founded by Bernard Rimland, a parent of an adult with autism and a leading advocate of research on autism. Publishes a newsletter summarizing current research on autism, and also provides a wide range of information. Contact: www.autism.com 4182 Adams Avenue, San Diego, CA 92116 Fax: (619) 563-6840
Arizona State University Autism Research Program
Directs several autism-related research studies, and maintains a web site with information for parents.
Call to be added to the waiting list for future research studies: (480) 965-3316.
Defeat Autism Now Physicians Located in Arizona
Matthew Baral, ND
LOCATION: 8010 E McDowell Rd., Ste 111 Scottsdale, AZ 85257
Catherine Norud, CNP
LOCATION: Outreach Clinics in December
Geoffrey Radoff, MD, MDH
LOCATION: 2525 West Greenway Rd., Ste. 210 Phoenix, AZ 85023-4295
Cindy Schneider, MD
LOCATION: 4045 E. Union Hills Drive, Suite 116 Phoenix, AZ 85050
Maureen Schwehr, ND
LOCATION: 621 N 6th Ave Tucson, Arizona 85705
Jessica Tran, ND
LOCATION: 8010 E McDowell Rd., Ste.111 Scottsdale, AZ 85257
Biomedical Treatments Book List
- Unraveling the Mystery of Autism and Pervasive Developmental Disorders, Karyn Seroussi, 2000
- Biological Treatments for Autism & PDD, William Shaw, MD, 2003, 2nd Edition
- Is This Your Child? Discovering and Treating Unrecognized Allergies in Children and Adults, Doris J. Rapp,
- Children with Starving Brains: A Medical Treatment Guide for Autism Spectrum Disorders by Jacquelyn McCandless, MD
- Autism: Have We Done Everything We Can for this Child? Effective Biomedical Treatments, by Sidney Baker, MD and Jon Pangborn, MD
- Changing the Course of Autism, A Scientific Approach for Parents & Physicians by Bryan Jepson, MD
- The Autism & ADHD Diet y Barrie Silberberg
- Nourishing Hope for Autism: Nutrition Intervention for Healing Our Children by Julie Matthews
- Mother Warriors by Jenny McCarthy
- Recovering Autistic Children by Stephen Edelson, Ph.D & Bernard Rimlnd, Ph.D
- Impossible Cure: The Promise of Homeopathy by Amy Lansky
- Excitotoxins: The Taste That Kills by Russell L. Blaylock
Autism Unraveled – autism-unravelled.org/default.aspx
Thoughtful House – www.thoughtfulhouse.org
Safe Minds – www.safeminds.org
Talk About Curing Autism (TACA) – www.tacanow.com
Unlocking Autism – www.unlockingautism.org
Generation Rescue — www.generationrescue.org/index.php
Healthy Child – healthychild.org
Center for Autism Reasearch & Education — www.center4autism.org
Early Intervention / Applied Behavorial Analysis (ABA)
- Right From the Start by Behavioral Intervention for Young Children with Autism Sandra Harris & Mary Jane Weiss
- Let Me Hear Your Voice – A Family’s Triumph over Autism by Catherine Maurice
- Teaching Developmentally Disabled Children – The Me Book by OIivar Lovaas
- Behavioral Intervention for Young Children with Autism by Maurice, Green & Luce
- Teaching Language to Children with Autism or Other Developmental Disabilities by Mark L. Sundberg, Ph.D., and James W Partington, Ph.D.,
- A Work in Progress: Behavior Management Strategies & A Curriculum for Intensive Behavioral Treatment of Autism
by Jaisom D. Harsh, John McEachin, Ron Leaf Ph.D.
*General Information *
- Beyond the Wall by Stephen Shore
- Thinking in Pictures by Temple Grandin
- Animals Make Us Human by Temple Grandin
- Animals in Translation by Temple Grandin
- Ten Things Your Child with Autism Wishes you Knew by Ellen Notbohm
- Autism Spectrum Disorders from A to Z by Barbara Doyle, M.S. & Emily Iland, B.A.
- Top Ten Tips: A Survival Guide for Families with Children on the Autism Spectrum by Teresa A. Cardon
- A Parent’s Guide to Asperger Syndrome & High-Functioning Autism by Sully Ozonoff, PhD, Geraldine Dawson, PhD, James McPartland
- The Oasis Guide to Asperger Syndrome by Patricia Bashe and Barbra Kirby
- Top Ten Tips: A Survival Guide for Families with Children on the Autism Spectrum by Teresa Cardon, M.A., CCC-SLP
- A Mind At A Time by Dr. Levin
- The Autistic Spectrum Parents’ Daily Helper: A Workbook for You and Your Child by Philip Abrams, Leslie Henriques Helping
- Your Anxious Child: A Step-by-Step Guide for Parents by Ronald M. Rapee, Ann Wignall , Susan H. Spence, Vanessa, Ph.D. Cobham , Heidi, Ph.D. Lyneham
- Visual Strategies for Improving Communication by Linda Hodgdon
- The Child With Special Needs: Encouraging Intellectual and Emotional Growth by Stanley Greenspan
- You’re Going to Love This Kid, Teaching Students with Autism in the Inclusive Classroom by Paula Kluth
- Edu-K for Kids by Paul Dennison, Ph.D. & Gail Dennison
- Brain Gym by Paul Dennison, Ph.D. & Gail Dennison
- Developing Ocular Motor & Visual Perceptual Skills, An Activity Workshop by Kenneth Lane, OD, FCOVD
- Change Your Brain Change Your Life by Dr. Daniel Amen, M.D.
- Asperger’s…What Does It Mean To Me?: Structured teaching ideas for home and school by Catherine Faherty
- A 5 Could Make Me Lose Control! by Kari Dunn Buron
- Smart Moves: Why Learning Is Not All In You Head by Carla Hannaford
- The Dominance Factor by Carla Hannaford
- Making the Brain/Body Connection by Sharon Promislow
- Disconnected Kids by Dr. Robert Melillo
- Bal-A-Vis-X: Rhythmic Balance/Auditory/Vision eXercises for Brain and Brain-Body Integration, by Bill Hubert
- Mislabeled Child by Brock Eddie MD
- Helping Children with Autism Learn by Bryna Siegal
- The Essential Difference: Male and Female Brains and the Truth About Autism By Simon Baron-Cohen
- I Read It, but I Don’t Get It by Cris Tovani
- Language Function: An Introduction to Pragmatic Assessment and Intervention for Higher Order Thinking
and Better Literacy ByEllyn Lucas Arwood
IEP / School Districts & Legal Issues
- The Complete IEP Guide: How to Advocate for Your Special Education Child by Lawrence Siegel, 2007 ed
- You’re Going to Love this Kid: Teaching Students with Autism in the Inclusive Classroom by Paula Kluth
- Wrightslaw: From Emotions to Advocacy, 2nd Edition by Pam Wright & Pete Wright
- Special Education Law by Peter & Pam Wright
- The Complete IEP Guide (2007 Edition) by Lawrence Siegel
- Autism: Asserting your Child’s Rights to a Special Education by David A. Sherman
- The Paraprofessional’s Guide to the Inclusive Classroom by Mary Beth Doyle
See list above.
Gluten Free — Casein free
- The Kid friendly ADHD and Autism Cookbook by Dana Laake, Pamela Compart
- Special Diets for Special Kids Volumn 1 and 2 by Lisa Lewis
- Sweet Alternative: More Than 100 Recipes Without Gluten, Dairy and Soy (Paperback)~ Ariana Bundy
- Gluten-Free 101: Easy, Basic Dishes Without Wheat (Paperback)~ Carol Fenster
- Social Skills Activities for Special Children by Darlene Mannix
- It’s So Much Work to Be Your Friend by Richard LaVoie
- Social Behavior Mapping: Connecting Behavior, Emotions & Consequences Across the Day by Michelle Garcia Winner
- Worksheets for Teaching Social Thinking and Related Skills by Michelle Garcia Winner
- Comic Strip Conversations by Carol Gray
- Solving the Relationship Puzzle by Steven Gutstein, Ph.D.
- Navigating the Social World by Jeanie McAfee, M.D.
- That’s What’s Different About Me! Story & coloring book by Kathryn Robbins
- The Hidden Curriculum by Brenda Smith Myles
- Thinking About YOU Thinking About ME, 2nd Edition by Michelle Garcia Winner
- Sticker Strategies to Encourage Social Thinking and Organization by Michelle Garcia Winner
- Think Social! A Social Thinking Curriculum for School-Age Students (2nd Printing) by Michelle Garcia Winner
- Inside Out: What Makes a Person with Social Cognitive Deficits Tick? by Michelle Garcia Winner
- Building Social Relationships by Scott Bellini
- TalkAbility By: Fern Sussman
- The Social Skills Picture Book by Jed Baker
- Social Skills Training for Children and Adolescents with Asperger Syndrome and Social-Communications Problems by Jeb Baker
- Raise Your Child’s Social IQ: Stepping Stones to People Skills for Kids~ Cathi Cohen
- The Unwritten Rules of Friendship: Simple Strategies to Help Your Child Make Friends~ Natalie Madorsky Elman
- A is for Autism, F is for Friend by Joanna Keating-Velasco
- The Incredible 5-Point Scale: Assisting Students With Autism Spectrum Disorders in Understanding Social Interactions and Controlling Their Emotional Responses By Kari Buron Dunn, Mitzi Curtis
- The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon
- Look Me in the Eye by John Elder Robison
- The Game of My Life: A True Story of Challenge, Triumph, & Growing Up Autistic by Jason McElwain, Daniel Paisner
- The Horse Boy: A Father’s Quest to Heal His Son by Rupert Issacson
- The Sensory-Sensitive Child: Practical Solutions for Out-of-Bounds Behavior
- The Out-of-Sync Child by Carol Stock Kranowitz
- The Out-of-Sync Child Has Fun by Carol Stock Kranowitz
- Sensory Integration Strategies for Parents : SI at Home and School (Paperback) by Jeanne Sangirardi Ganz
- The Goodenoughs Get in Sync: A Story for Kids about the Tough Day When Filibuster Grabbed Darwin’s Rabbit’s Foot and the Whole Family Ended Up in the Doghouse–An Introduction to Sensory Processing Disorder by Carol Stock Kranowitz
- Parenting a Child With Sensory Processing Disorder By Christopher R. Auer and Susan L. Blumberg
- The Sensory Team Handbook: A hands-on tool to help young people make sense of their senses and take charge of their sensory processing by Nancy Mucklow
- Don’t Pop Your Cork on Mondays!: The Children’s Anti-Stress Book by Adolph Moser and Dav Pilkey
- Don’t Rant and Rave on Wednesdays!: The Children’s Anger-Control Book by Adolph Moser
- Don’t Feed the Monster on Tuesdays!: The Children’s Self-Esteem Book by Adolph Moser
- A Boy and a Bear: The Children’s Relaxation Book (Paperback) by Lori Lite
- All Kinds of Minds: A Young Student’s Book About Learning Abilities & Learning Disorders by Melvin D. Levine
- What to Do When You Worry Too Much: A Kid’s Guide to Overcoming Anxiety (What to Do Guides for Kids) (Paperback) by Dawn Huebner
- How to Take the Grrrr Out of Anger (Laugh And Learn) (Paperback) by Elizabeth Verdick
- My Best Friend Will by Jamie Lowell & Tara Tuchel
- When My Worries Get Too Big!: A Relaxation Book for Children Who Live With Anxiety By Kari Dunn Buron
- The complete guide to Asperger’s syndrome by By Tony Attwood
- Parenting Your Asperger Child: Individualized Solutions For Teaching Your Child Practical Skills By Alan T. Sohn, Cathy Grayson
- Freaks, Geeks and Asperger Syndrome: A User Guide to Adolescence by Luke Jackson, Tony Attwood
- Middle School: The Stuff Nobody Tells You About by Haley Moss
- All Cats Have Aspergers Syndrome by Kathy Hooperman
- My Brother Charlie by Holly Robinson-Peete and Ryan Elizabeth Peete
- Asperger’s Huh? A Child’s Perspective by Rosina G. Schnurr, John Strachan (Illustrator)
- Aspergers, What Does It Mean To Me? by Catherine Faherty
- Connecting With Your Asperger Partner Negotiating the Maze of Intimacy by Louise Weston
- 22 Things a Woman Must Know If She Loves a Man with Asperger’s Syndrome by Rudy Simone
- The Asperger Couple’s Workbook Practical Advice and Activities for Couples and Counsellors by Maxine Aston
- Aspergers in Love by Maxine Aston
- Love, Sex and Long-Term Relationships What People with Asperger Syndrome Really Really Want by Sarah Hendrickx
- Alone Together Making an Asperger Marriage Work by Katrin Bentley
- Autistics’ Guide to Dating A Book by Autistics, for Autistics and Those Who Love Them or Who Are in Love with Them
by Emilia Murry Ramey and Jody John Ramey
- Asperger Meets Girl Happy Endings for Asperger Boys by Jonathan Griffiths
- Counselling for Asperger Couples by Barrie Thompson
- Asperger Syndrome and Long-Term Relationships by Ashley Stanford
- Asperger Syndrome – A Love Story by Sarah Hendrickx and Keith Newton
- The Love-Shy Survival Guide by Talmer Shockley